A Traineeship differs from an Internship in that it offers an opportunity for people who may not have completed a tertiary education. This programme enables non-students, graduates and young professionals to undertake from 3 to 18 months practical training in the USA. We can only work with people currently living in New Zealand or NZ passport holders who are looking to either return to New Zealand prior to doing the Traineeship USA programme (PCT USA), or wanting to apply from New Zealand. The Traineeship Programme is coordinated by CIEE. Internship New Zealand is the chosen New Zealand partner for CIEE (Council for International Educational Exchange) - a J1 Visa sponsor in the USA. Please note that the Traineeship USA Programme requires you to source your own placement and CIEE / Internship NZ will assist with your J1 Visa process.
What is Included
As your sponsor, CIEE / Internship NZ will provide:
- A comprehensive and regularly updated web site www.ciee.org providing information on finding jobs and living in the USA;
- 24 hour emergency support from CIEE;
- Comprehensive health and accident insurance in accordance with USA Government requirements;
- The DS-2019 'certificate of eligibility' to undertake training in the USA required for the J-1 Visa; and
- A participant handbook.
To participate in Professional Career Training USA you must have ALL of the following:
- Be at least 20 years old (and generally not older than 40);
- Have graduated from secondary school;
- Have acquired a post-secondary qualification and have at least one year of related work experience outside the US OR instead of a qualification, have at least 5 years (outside the US) of relevant professional experience in the field in which you intend to train;
- Have a traineeship that is directly related to the field and level of study and/or previous work experience
- Not work in an unskilled occupation as defined by the U.S. State Department (see below) and;
- Able to support themselves with a minimum of $1000 per month from salary, personal savings or a guarantor (parent, bank, etc) for the duration of their stay in the US.
- Check for eligibility at https://www.ciee.org/in-the-usa/research-training/intern-professional-tr...
Internship NZ is authorised to sponsor interns in the following eight categories:
- Arts and Culture;
- Information Media and Communications;
- Education, Social Sciences, Library Science, Counseling and Social Services;
- Management, Business Commerce and Finance (including Hospitality & Hotel Management);
- Health-Related Occupations;
- The Sciences, Engineering, Architecture, Mathematics and Industrial Occupations
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing; and
- Public Administration and Law.
Placements should consist of practical training directly related to your field of study/work. Practical training will vary from position to position, but include a rotation of departments, if applicable, and a well-rounded exposure to the company/organisation. Although the training takes place in the work place, the programme does not allow participants to simply work in the USA ( for example, replace a regular employee).
Casual or second jobs are not allowed - this includes volunteer positions.
CIEE cannot sponsor participants to work as the following:
- Au pairs, maids or any other domestic work such as baby-sitting or housekeeping;
- Camp counsellors;
- Medical trainees or anything involving hands-on therapy, counseling, administering treatment or making diagnoses of medical, psychiatric or psychological conditions;
- Pharmacy positions directly related to dispensing medication to patients;
- Veterinary trainees involved in hands-on care of animals;
- Pilots or crew members on ships or airplanes;
- Casino trainees directly involved in gaming;
- Teachers or educational instructors; or
- Temporary or staffing agency employees.
The programme runs all year.
Work visa lasts for 3-18 months and is issued for the exact dates of the training plan, as per employer's notification.
Participants can remain in the USA as tourists for up to 30 days after their work visa expires.
For further information on these programmes you may like to check out the CIEE website www.ciee.org.
How can I find out more and apply for the Traineeship USA Programme?
If you would like to know more about the programme or find out how to apply, please click here